Adrian LaTarus Mayse (He/Him/HIs)
- School of Business
Dr. Adrian L. Mayse, CPA is an Associate Professor in the Department of Accounting. He is a member of the Howard University LGBTQ+ Advisory Council. Prior to joining the faculty at Howard University in 2015, Dr. Mayse was a faculty member at Middle Tennessee State University. He is the author of "When I Grow Up I Want To Be... An Accountant". His research focuses on the judgment and decision making of auditors and financial statement users concerning audit standard setting and regulation. His research appears in the Journal of Accounting and Finance, Journal of Business and Economic Perspectives, Journal of Leadership, Accountability and Ethics, Journal of Behavioral Studies in Business and the Journal of Finance and Accountancy. Dr. Mayse teaches International Accounting and Accounting Information Systems and the Master of Accountancy’s Seminar in Accounting course. He has taught Cost Accounting, Accounting Principles II, and Accounting Principles I. He received his Ph.D. in accounting in 2014 and his M.P.A. (Master of Professional Accountancy) in 2007 from Jackson State University. In 2005, he received his B.B.A. in finance from the University of Mississippi. Dr. Mayse is a CPA. He worked for the Mississippi Department of Revenue for three years as a tax auditor. He is a member of the American Accounting Association (AAA), the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA), the PhD Project, and the National Association of Black Accountants (NABA).
Areas of expertise
- Audit Rotation
- Auditor Independence
- Audit Quality
- Judgement and Decision Making of Auditors and Financial Statement Users
- Ph.D., Accounting, Jackson State University, Jackson, Mississippi, 2014
- M.P.A., Accounting, Jackson State University, Jackson, Mississippi, 2007
- B.B.A., Finance, University of Mississippi, University, Mississippi, 2005
- ACCT 350-Accounting Information Systems
- ACCT 375-International Accounting
- MACC 509-Seminar in Accounting
- Mayse, A. L., Daniels, B. W., & Ellis, Y. 2016. Perceptions of independence and auditor rotation: An examination of nonprofit organizations. Journal of Finance and Accountancy, 20.
- Mayse, A. L. & Daniels, B. 2015. The effects of corporate governance and auditor rotation on CEO/CFOs' perceptions of auditor Independence and financial statement reliability: Evidence from nonprofit organizations. Journal of Leadership, Accountability, and Ethics, 12 (4): 82-92.
- Mayse, A. L., Booker, Q., & Hill, C. Spring/Summer 2015. An examination of audit partner and audit firm rotation policies for private companies: CPAs' perceptions, Journal of Business and Economic Perspectives, 41 (2): 73-90.